Here’s how to give
While the UMKC campus is closed during Winter Break, it’s still easy to make a year-end gift by observing the following guidelines.
UMKC offices will be closed Monday, Dec. 26 through Monday, Jan. 2. All gifts must hit UMKC Foundation accounts by Dec. 31 to receive tax credit for the 2022 calendar year. Checks and cash need to be postmarked on or before Dec. 31.
- Credit card and stock gifts must hit the UMKC Foundation accounts by Dec. 31 to receive tax-credit for the 2022 calendar year. Checks and cash need to be postmarked on or before Dec. 31
- The date UMKC receives and processes checks and cash from the mail has NO impact on a donor’s taxable year contributions. The “gift date” for the IRS is the date the donor relinquished control, not the date the gift is processed.
Availability & Contacts
- The Office of Gift Processing will be available Friday Dec. 30 from 8 a.m. to noon to accept year-end gifts. The Office of Gift Processing will be closed during the remainder of winter break and will re-open with regular business hours on Tuesday, Jan. 3.
- The UMKC Foundation Office will be closed during winter break. A few staff will be on rotation remotely during the period. If you have any questions, call 816-235-5778, and someone will return your call.
- For any stock gifts or wire transfers, please contact Tram Nguyen at email@example.com for the transfer form and DTC instructions. Stock gifts must be received into the account on or before Dec. 31 to be reflected in 2022 tax period, per the IRS.
- Inquiries about all other year-end gifts can be directed to Sara Hampton at 816-235-5329 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Office of Gift Processing will also be taking calls at 816-235-1566 during the office hours listed above.
Checks must be received in the Gift Processing office by Friday, Jan. 13, 2023, in an envelope postmarked on or prior to Dec. 31, 2022, to be credited in the 2022 tax year. Gifts received after that date will not automatically be included in processing for the annual tax receipt. If the envelope received is postmarked after Dec. 31, it will be counted as a 2023 gift.
Donors should send their checks to the address below:
UMKC Office of Gift Processing
112 Administrative Center
5115 Oak Street
Kansas City, MO 64112
Stock or Mutual Funds –
- Please contact Tram Nguyen at email@example.com for the transfer form and DTC instructions. Stock gifts must be received into the account on or before Dec. 31 to be reflected in 2022 tax period, per the IRS.
- To liquidate the stock gift, it is required to provide the donor’s name, number of shares, security, expected date of transfer and area for where the gift is intended. This information can be completed on the transfer form or sent via email. Stock gifts will not be liquidated until confirmation of this information is received.
- Mutual funds take an additional 3-5+ business days before posting to our account. Please advise your donors to have their brokers initiate any mutual fund transfers no later than Dec. 20. Regular equity stock takes 24 hours to post to our account.
Credit Card Gifts
- Credit card gifts will be accepted through the online UMKC Foundation website until midnight on Dec. 31 and will be reflected as a 2022 gift. Any online credit card gifts received after midnight Dec. 31st will be dated in January.
Gifts received after hours may be deposited in the night deposit box located beside the Cashiers Office at Admin Center 112 and will be processed the following business day. Credit card gifts received through the lockbox will be dated the following business day.
Pursuant to Curators Rules 208 and 212, all gifts should be transferred, with original documentation (including postmarked envelopes), to the Gift Processing Office within 24 hours of their arrival to any school, college or department.