The people who work at the UMKC Foundation know it is a special place where everyone plays a part in achieving the university’s vision of becoming a model urban research university, characterized by signature graduate and professional programs, a dynamic undergraduate population, a highly diverse faculty, staff and student body, and active engagement with the city and region.
We invite you to submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Senior Director of Development, Henry W. Bloch School of Management
Purpose: The Senior Director of Development for the Henry W. Bloch School of Management leads the fundraising activities of the school, including facilitation, implementation and evaluation of strategic direction, in concert with the Dean. The Senior Director works closely with and provides management of the major gift director for the Bloch School to ensure alignment of common goals for the School. The Senior Director also is responsible for managing a portfolio of major and principal gift donor prospects.
The position will collaborate with leadership of the Bloch School, the Director of Development for the Bloch School, and the Assistant Vice President to determine the best strategies for effective cultivation and stewardship of donors; maintain ongoing and active networking with internal and external constituencies; and oversee recognition events, marketing and communications for the school’s donors.
Organizational Relationships: The Senior Director of Development has a dual reporting relationship to the Assistant Vice President and Dean of the Henry W. Bloch School of Management.
Essential Duties: The Senior Director leads and participates in a comprehensive major and principal gifts program as well as planned gifts for the UMKC Bloch School of Management. The Senior Director’s time is spent as both a fundraiser and as a key manager. Portfolio Management responsibilities include:
- Facilitating active relationships with assigned prospects while endeavoring to match UMKC’s funding needs with prospects’ interests.
- Leading by example in personal work with donors; identification, cultivation and qualification of prospects; solicitation and closing of major gifts sufficient to meet or exceed individual and team goals set annually.
- Working with prospect research staff to evaluate and prioritize donor prospects and maintain a balanced portfolio, develop written strategies, including target amounts and target dates on all actively managed prospects.
- Collaborating with the UMKC Foundation Leadership Team to develop and implement an overall strategic plan for the solicitation of major gifts to meet the Foundation’s goals.
Managerial duties include:
- Leading, mentoring and supervising a major gift director for the Bloch School. In partnership with the MGD, creates a visionary strategic plan for the School to inspire, motivate, and provide engaging leadership opportunities for the director of development. Evaluates director’s productivity and effectiveness based on metrics and goals; engages in frequent interaction with Bloch School and Foundation staff.
- Serves as the Bloch School’s planned giving liaison.
- Works closely and collaboratively with UMKC Foundation and Advancement colleagues to ensure operational needs are met.
- Meets with Dean and Department Chairs to further unit fundraising performance and make suggestions and encourage partnership in meeting objectives and goals.
The successful candidate will have the following experience, education and knowledge:
Education and Experience: A bachelor’s degree and minimum four years of development experience with progressive responsibilities are required, five to seven years, preferred. Preferred experience includes fundraising management, major gift solicitations and planned gift solicitations, knowledge, understanding and experience working with corporate and foundation donors; evidence of having achieved successful results in previous positions; experience building and executing campaigns as well as knowledge of higher education and familiarity with the characteristics of a comprehensive university. Incumbent must exercise substantial independence of administrative authority and discretion in areas such as program planning, design and implementation.
Knowledge of: Major gifts moves management, planned giving vehicles, annual giving, corporate and foundation granting. Administrative principles and practices, including goal-setting, program development, implementation and evaluation, principles and practices of budget development and administration, rules, regulations and procedures related to development activities; techniques for managing and motivating a variety of individuals, in person and over the telephone; principles and techniques of preparing effective written materials.
Additional Requirements: A valid U.S. driver’s license is required.
UMKC: The University of Missouri Kansas City is located in the heart of Kansas City, one mile from the famed KC Plaza District. Kansas City is home to the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts, KC Chiefs, KC Royals, Sporting KC, and is home to world renowned BBQ. Rich in diversity, culture, and sports, UMKC is a rich traditional university with a host of professional schools in a robust urban setting.
About the UMKC Foundation: The UMKC Foundation is a separate but affiliated enterprise that is devoted to raising funds for the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and for exercising fiduciary responsibility over endowments and other philanthropic investments made to UMKC.
If you are interested in helping grow the culture of philanthropy that supports UMKC, please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.