The people who work at the UMKC Foundation know it is a special place where everyone plays a part in achieving the university’s vision of becoming a model urban research university, characterized by signature graduate and professional programs, a dynamic undergraduate population, a highly diverse faculty, staff and student body, and active engagement with the city and region.
We invite you to submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Donor Relations Specialist
The Donor Relations Specialist (DRS) provides comprehensive, energetic support of all stewardship and engagement initiatives to enhance donor interactions that contribute directly to donor retention, increased giving and a long-term investment in UMKC.
The DRS ensures donors have exemplary experiences as part of the giving process which includes, but is not limited to developing and distributing donor communications, managing communication records in the donor database, implementing stewardship initiatives properly, participating in strategy development for donor recognition clubs/societies, assisting with reporting publications and supporting events to steward donors in accordance with the Foundation policies and best practices.
The DRS reports to the Director of Stewardship Support Services. To effectively fulfill the responsibilities of the position, the DRS will work collaboratively with the Director of Stewardship Support Services and across the campus community with staff, donors and students.
- Plays an integral role in the work of the Office of Stewardship and Donor Relations building a culture of gratitude at UMKC Foundation and ensuring that donors are appreciated, informed and engaged.
- Executes weekly and monthly gift stewarding processes including the gift acknowledgment plan, the new donor welcome series and pledge reminders. Strong writing skills are required.
- Develops creative, digital communications for use in stewardship email campaigns and other departmental use.
- Assists in the data pulls, planning, organizing and execution of all stewardship projects, including the annual appreciation report, endowment report and donor appreciation events. Also, works to prepare impact reports for UMKC Foundation donors.
- Assists the Director of Stewardship Support Services with collecting and reporting on stewardship and donor engagement metrics to help ensure data-driven decision making.
- Manages special projects specific to stewardship initiatives and as assigned by the Director of Stewardship Support Services. Includes communications on behalf of UMKC Foundation leadership and others specific to major gift donors.
- Collaboratively creates opportunities for additional donor recognition and engagement with fund recipients. Creativity and initiative are encouraged.
- Provides outstanding customer service consistent with UMKC Foundation’s promise to all donors, internal and external constituents.
- Maintains accuracy of donor data in our fundraising Customer Relationship Management system, as needed.
- You excel at customer service. Your excellent interpersonal and communication skills are one of the skillsets that you are most proud of, as well as your polite, friendly demeanor.
- You enjoy organizing information, are comfortable navigating data, know how to perform mail merges and are comfortable using software, such as Microsoft.
- You have poise, comfort and confidentiality interacting with prominent individuals (e.g. donors, executives, senior academic/faculty) from a range of cultural backgrounds.
- You pay close attention to and ensure the highest level of accuracy, quality, timing and other details in all aspects of your work.
- You are available to work evenings and weekends for donor appreciation events.
- You enjoy working collaboratively and proactively to achieve team goals.
- You have strong writing, proofreading and editing skills.
Education and Experience:
- You have two or more years in donor relations and stewardship, fundraising and/or project management—event experience included. A bachelor’s degree is not required, but field-specific knowledge preferred.
- You have a practical understanding of field-specific knowledge, such as direct dialogue, mail, telephone, web, database, digital and social media.
- You have two or more years of experience with external communications and customer service.
Salary Range: $35,000 – $40,000; non-exempt
The UMKC Foundation is a separate but affiliated enterprise that is devoted to raising funds for the university, and for exercising fiduciary responsibility over endowments and other philanthropic investments made to UMKC. The UMKC Foundation enables a strong, sustained leadership to advance the university’s interests.
If you are interested in helping grow the culture of philanthropy that supports UMKC, please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.